On a Wedding today at North Shields register office with our Mercedes S Class, its great to see the renovation to the outside of the building has been completed and the office is now free from scaffolding, having been restored to its former glory. The rear terrace can now be accessed as before, making those all important photo shoots all that much better.
The building itself was built in 1806 and used as a library, by the first Literary and Philosophical society in the North. In 1891 the building changed hands and became a company HQ for local ship owners until 1981. The Image of a stag can be seen facing the river, this logo was painted on the funnels of the ships run by the company. Afterward, the building became a basement pub for short while before becoming a Register office.